Shrines can be found randomly throughout the stages of the game, and they offer rewards in return for various offerings. A level may have more than one shrine but will never spawn two of the same shrine.
Destroying a shrine will cause a message to appear and a special effect to happen. Every shrine has exactly 150HP.
The Smith[edit | edit source]
- Offer: 1-5 pieces of Equipment. A bomb counts as equipment.
- Rewards: 1 random piece of equipment(In the form of weapons/armor)
- When destroyed: Dozens of arrows are shot, surrounding every player on the level.
- After offering multiple hammers (presumably 5), the Smith will reward you with the Thunder God's hammer. The gift is preceded by "Behold!" as opposed to the usual "I will grant you this gift".
- It seems like some of the other blunt weapons also count towards the Thunder God's hammer but further testing is required
The Bloody[edit | edit source]
- Offer: 33 HP
- Rewards: One of two permanent stat bonuses, which can stack.
- +1 STR. "Show me your strength."
- +1 DEX. "Show me your skill."
- Alternate offer: a Fairy
- Reward: +1 STR, DEX, INT and LCK. You will not lose HP by sacrificing the fairy.
- When destroyed: Every entity in the stage takes damage equal to 50% of their remaining HP. This will kill a player at 1hp.
- Cannot be used with 1 HP remaining.
- Using the shrine will kill you if you are using the "Death's Acolyte" background or "Death becomes easier to encounter" equipment.
- In any other circumstance, using the shrine will not kill you. You will be left with 1 HP instead.
- Using the shrine with less than 33 HP will leave you at 1 HP and will not grant you any rewards. However, it is possible to sacrifice 33 HP in multiple goes but I don't advise you to do so since the bloody won't just take the amount of HP needed to reach 33 but also any surplus HP. Example: The player has 32 HP and activates the shrine. He loses 31 HP and doesn't get a reward. He heals back to 31 HP and uses the shrine again. He loses 30HP and obtains a single stat boost despite nearly sacrifing enough HP to receive two.
The Deranged[edit | edit source]
- Offer: 1 of any item, including bomb arrows. Alternatively, 50 regular arrows.
- Random item, including artifacts.
- Water burst (very rare)
- Destroying nearby ground as per Wand of Digging, in three different directions
- Digging a hole straight beneath the player
- Random teleportation
- 3 random instantaneous teleportations, within moments of each other
- 3 bombs that will explode after a few seconds
- 5 bombs that will explode after a few seconds
- A random status effect, such as:
- Random potion buffs, including Regeneration
- Berserk status (random duration)
- Freezing the player (harmless)
- Setting the player on fire for 10 damage
- Magic potion buff, accompanied by a burst of Magic Missiles fired from the player in all directions
- Throwing the player a short way in a random direction, stunning and inflicting a small amount of damage.
- 1-6 Scrolls of Chaos (rare), preceded by "Spread my word!"
- Offering a Chaos Wand followed by any kind of dagger rewards you with the Blink Dagger.
- When destroyed: A few of the aforementioned effects occur. Can be both positive and negative.
The Light[edit | edit source]
- Offer: 20 Gold.
- Rewards: Healing, presumably 1-20 HP.
- When destroyed: Drops 30 gold + all gold previously used on it, even on past levels. The shrine then bars the player from receiving future rewards until all gold dropped by it is returned via offering. Decreases sight radius.
The Shackled[edit | edit source]
- Offer: Cursed Equipment (Weapons or Armor)
- Rewards: Random stat allocation on the offered item at the price of a God-curse. A God-cursed item cannot be removed with a Scroll of Uncurse.
- When destroyed: Curses all equipment in the player's inventory, as well as the equipment available in the shop.
- You can save your scrolls of Identify by simply offering items that have not been identified, and seeing if the shrine takes them. If the shrine does not take the item, feel free to equip it to see what your non-cursed item does.
- Offering 3 Scrolls of Uncurse to this shrine rewards you with a cursed Adherent's Ring of the Shackled, which has no stats but gives you vitality and faster attack speed based on how many cursed/god-cursed items you are wearing. The ring can be god-cursed to receive some stats.
The Scholar[edit | edit source]
- Offer: 2 spell books or 6 scrolls (offering one spell book and 3 scrolls also works).
- Rewards: 1 random spellbook of any rank.
- When destroyed: Drops a random spell book, prevents further rewards.
- Has a chance to reward the player with an Enchant scroll. Will not affect the requirements of normal rewards.
- Destroying the scholar may heavily impact your run since there is no way to restore your piety.